How to Use Windows Safe Mode
Need Help Fast?
Call our toll-free 24/7 PC tech support line for help with errors, spyware, viruses, and more.
Safe Mode is a feature that starts your Windows machine with a limited set of files and drivers. This boot up mode only runs the basic drivers that Windows needs in order to function properly. All of the other startup programs are not allowed by your system to function in Safe Mode.
Safe Mode is used to troubleshoot problems with some drivers and even other programs that may not start properly or prevent the system from starting correctly. If a certain problem does not appear when you start your machine on Safe Mode, you will then have the clue that it might be some default settings and other basic drivers that is causing the problem.
If a program, driver or a device that was recently installed is causing Windows to have troubles running normally; you can start your machine on Safe Mode so you can remove the program that causes the problem. To access Safe Mode, just follow the steps below:
1. Remove all storage devices and other peripherals form your computer. You should also remove all CDs and DVDs then restart your computer.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Point your mouse to the arrow right icon just beside the “Shut down” tab then click “Restart”.
2. Do either of the following:
- If your machine has only one operating system installed, press and hold down the F8 key while your computer is restarting. You should be able to press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you fail to do so, you need to try again by waiting until the logon prompt appears on the screen, press the shutdown button to open other potions and then click “Restart”. Be sure to press F8 before the Windows logo appears this time.
- If your machine has more than just a single operating system installed, all you need to do is to choose the operating system that you want to start in Safe Mode using the arrow keys after pressing F8.
3. On the screen for “Advanced Boot Options”, you can use the arrow keys to highlight and choose the safe mode option of your choice then press the “Enter” key.
4. You should then log on to your computer with all the user account right as an administrator.
If you successfully started your computer in Safe Mode, the word “Safe Mode” should appear in all the corners of your computer screen. If you want to exit Safe Mode, all you need to do is restart your machine again and just let Windows start normally.