How to Protect the Privacy of Your Windows Explorer Searches
Need Help Fast?
Call our toll-free 24/7 PC tech support line for help with errors, spyware, viruses, and more.
Modern gadgets and devices gave way to some modern processes. Nowadays, even buying and selling is done online by making use of credit or debit cards on e-commerce websites like eBay and Amazon. What if your financial details are saved somewhere within your computer that only you and no one else know? Are you sure that your activities are not traced or the keys you press are not logged by a cyber-criminal who’s way smarter than you are?
In this modern time of fast transactions done online, it is important that you are also adept with some security risks that you might run into in one of the transactions that you make. Be sure to protect your financial account details in the best way that you can. Remember! It only takes one mistake and that’s what most hackers wait for them to start ripping off the hard earned money that you have in your account.
But you don’t have to worry that much if you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Starter or Home Basic Editions. These versions have a feature that disables your most recent searches from appearing just in case your computer gets stolen or someone else gained access to it having some malicious intent. Of course it is also important that you always disable the “Sign Me In Automatically” feature for the websites you often visit and save your financial information in a place that much safer other than your computer.
To turn off the recent search feature, just follow the steps below:
- Click on the “Start” button.
- On the start menu search box, type GPEDIT.MSC then press the “Enter” key so that the Group Policy Editor would launch.
- Go to the “User Configuration” section.
- Look for “Administrative Templates” and click it.
- Go to “Windows Components”.
- Then click “Windows Explorer”.
- Now double-click the “Turn off display of recent search entries in the Windows Explorer search box” option then select “Enabled” on the screen that pops-up.
- Finally, click”OK”. The recent searches feature will now be completely deactivated.
Disabling this feature is a very good precautionary measure that you can do especially if you are sharing your computer with someone else at home, in the office or in any other place that you usually get into.